Our funeral home was founded in Ludlow, Kentucky in 1935 by Raymond P. Catherman and Daniel Bullock. The newly established funeral home located at 254 Latta was known as Bullock and Catherman Funeral Home. It remained this until the untimely death of Daniel Bullock in 1943. After Mr. Bullock’s death, Mr. Catherman became the sole owner and operater of the funeral home, known as Catherman Funeral Home. In 1946, Catherman purchased the Bentley House at 316 Elm Street in Ludlow which is the current location of the funeral home today. In 1947, Ronald Jones was employed by Mr. Catherman as a teenager. In 1953 they partnered and the firm became known as the Catherman & Jones Funeral Home. In 1960, Ronald purchased the firm from Mr. Catherman and the firm remained known as the Catherman & Jones Funeral Home until 1964 when Ron changed the name to Ronald B. Jones Funeral Home.
The Bentley House stands at the northwest corner of Elm and Butler Streets. The Ronald B. Jones Funeral Home is currently utilizing the structure.
Matthew Bentley and family, English Jews who immigrated to the United States in 1843, built the home. The Bentley family initially took up residence in Ohio. In 1846, they purchased a lot in Ludlow (an additional parcel was purchased in 1850). On this property the Bentley House was constructed (1849-1850).
Mathew Bentley Sr. operated a liquor dealership from the home for many years. In the formative period of Ludlow's history, Mathew Bentley served on the city council.
Mathew and his wife Mary were the parents of six children: Lewis (b.August 15, 1840), Rosa (b. 1842), Mathew Jr. (b. 1844), Isabelle (b. 1846), Charles (b. 1849), and Louisa (b. 1853).
Only Lewis Bentley remained in Ludlow. Following his parent's deaths, the home became his. Lewis, his wife Alice and their children lived in the home for many years. Alice died on February 24, 1922. Lewis followed her on June 6, 1931. Both are buried in Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati.
The home was sold to Peter “Pete” Manchikes and his wife Amy. In approximately 1946, Raymond P. Catherman purchased the house for use as a funeral home, which eventually evolved into the Ronald B. Jones Funeral Home of today.
Tenkotte, Paul, Rival Cities to Suburbs, University of Cincinnati Dissertation, 1989, Vol. I, p. 321; United States Federal Census, 1860; Kentucky Death Certificates 1922 and 1931.